
Seffner, Florida– UPDATE: Police now say that the 36-year-old man who disappeared when a sinkhole opened up underneath his Seffner, Florida, bedroom early Friday is presumed dead.
It’s not confirmed, but I think it’s safe to presume,” Hillsborough County fire department spokeswoman Jessica Damico said Friday morning.
BRANDON, Fla.
A large sinkhole opened under the bedroom of a house near Tampa, trapping a 34-year-old man in the rubble.
The home collapsed late Thursday in a Brandon neighborhood. By early Friday, Hillsborough County Fire Rescue officials determined the home had become too unstable to continue rescue efforts.
Fire rescue spokeswoman Jessica Damico said Bracken Engineering officials determined the home’s bedroom is the center of the sinkhole, which measures about 100 feet across.
Listening devices and cameras were placed in the hole but there had been no contact with the missing man by early Friday.
Engineers condemned the house, reports CBS Tampa affiliate WTSP-TV, which says the man was asleep when the hole opened.
You must be logged in to post a comment.